Sunday, April 20, 2008

Presenting Smidty

Ever search your name in Google and see what comes up? Smidt is not a prominent last name, it really is "Smith" but in a uncommon low-German dialect. So I have always been interested in what prominent websites bear my last name.

For instance, I've always wanted to Phil Smidt's in Hammond, Indiana - which was a popular seafood joint near Chicago. I was in Hammond two years ago, forgot about it, and I am now kicking myself because it closed recently. Likewise, for a long time I've noticed "Smidt Wohncenter" (or living center) in Leverkusen (near Koln). It's a standard housewares type of store.

But when visiting their site recently I was introduced to Smidty - the store's new mascot. This mascot caught the attention of Melissa and me since people often call me Smidty. Smidty has much fun to offer. First, there's the video of Smidty welcoming all the denizens of Leverkusen. And probably most fun of all, Smidty also has a great online game of memory to play. See if you can crack the top ten.

Why Smidty has some sort of pink blob of a head is beyond us. But since some others by the name of Smidt might be reading this I thought I would show them there is a mascot for our kind. A mascot we can be proud of.

No comments: